Colonization of Government Lands
Historically, the ruler assigned the task of collection of share of produce ranging
between 1/5th and 2/3rd of the produce from the land to inter-mediatories allowing
them a share of the produce as collection charge. Waste land not in use of any community
was construed as property of the crown.
The law on the subject, however, was codified during the British Regime. The Government
TENANTS ACT, 1893 was replaced by the Colonization of Government Lands (Punjab)
Act, 1912 (Act V of 1912) was promulgated and was made applicable only to Colony
Land which still holds the field. The West Pakistan Amendment Ordinance XXXVI of
1969 widened the scope and application of the Act to cover all the Government land.
Ever since, all schemes for the grant of state land and statement of conditions
applicable to such grants have been issued under the provisions of Colonization
of Government Lands (Punjab) Act, 1912. Proprietary rights have been conferred on
the allotters fulfilling the terms and conditions under these schemes.
Perennial flow of sweet water from streams, wells, inundation creeks/channels and
inundation of rivers constituted sources of irrigation of land prior to the construction
of following four inundation canals in 1882 by the British.
- Lower Chenab Canal System (LCC) from Chenab river at Ramnagar in the Gujranwala
district to irrigates land in Districts Toba Tek Singh, part of Jhang, Hafizabad,
Gujranwala, Sheikhupura and Faisalabad
- Lower Depalpur Canal System(LDC) from the Sutlej river (the Lower Sohag-Para scheme)
in Sahiwal district that irrigates land in Districts Okara, part of Sahiwal and
- Multan Branch Canal from the Sidhnai reach of the Ravi River in the Multan district
that irrigates lands in Districts Multan, Khanewal and Lodhran
- Khadiar Branch Canal from the Chenab River at Chiniot in the Jhang district that
irrigates land in District Sargodha and Jhang